Mill Point is located just north of Elanda Point on the western shores of Lake Cootharaba, and has significant historic interest as one of the earliest timber settlements in Queensland.
The Luya & Co timber mill was established there in the 1860s and provided massive quantities of timber logs to the surrounding areas, including Gympie, Tewantin and Brisbane. It employed up to 200 workers by the 1880s.
A small township evolved, which included a school, hotel, shops and a cemetery. The mill eventually closed in 1892, but remnants of the business and its settlement can still be seen today, including a monument erected in 1993 by the National Trust of Queensland.